30 December 2011

Review: Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Publication date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends / Macmillan

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

I like to imagine that Marissa Meyer was watching Blade Runner and reading Cinderella when she came up with the idea for Cinder. I imagine this because the thought amuses me. Excuse me while I giggle...

I was surprised with how much I liked this book. I honestly didn't know what to expect before I opened it, but I really enjoyed it! I admit that at first I was a bit put off with the ease at which I was able to predict what was to come (I refer to the retelling of the original Cinderella story, not Meyer's own plot points), but then I soon began to have fun catching the Cinderella references. Also, Meyer does do a great job of making this story her own. It's very creative and very different from anything I've read recently.

I love the world of New Beijing and so forth that she created and the characters are all well-drawn out and likable (and, of course, hateable). I adored following the budding romance between Cinder and Prince Kai. It is so sweet! Cinder+Prince Kai=together forever!! And the end? Holy crap, I need the next one! NEED IT! I think Marissa Meyer is a fabulous debut storyteller and I eagerly await the next book in the series, as well as, whatever she chooses to write in the future. It can only get better, right?

3 comments :

  1. I'm almost finished with this one and I'm really enjoying it, too! Who knew you could do a retelling of Cinderella, with cyborgs, and it would end up so wonderful :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I wasn't as excited as everyone else was when I first heard about this--it sounds a little too strange and futuristic for my usual tastes. But all the reviews I've seen have gushed about it, so I might actually pick it up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my faves. I used to read her Sailor Moon fanfics. :) Don't tell anyone I read Sailor Moon fan fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.