03 January 2012

Review: Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Publication date: December 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Thanks to Sourcebooks and NetGalley for the eGalley!
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.

I dislike sports, which means I dislike football. This book is full of American football. Football references are all over the place. And guess what?

I had so much fun reading it!!

I hated high school and this book made me want to actually go back to it, but only if I could live in the world of Catching Jordan and only if the characters could be my best friends. I've never been a huge fan of contemporary fiction but it's been authors like Stephanie Perkins and now Miranda Kenneally that are showing me how much fun it can be. I think this is the first time I've read a book and have loved each and every character (or at least the ones we are supposed to). Kenneally is great at writing natural dialogue and I love that she is so unapologetic about the football references. There's no explanation as to any terms or names used and I like this because it stays true to the narrator, Jordan. Jordan already knows what all of this is, so why would she explain it?

Even though I love the book, there is a problem I have with it. I feel like sex is treated too casually in Catching Jordan, almost like the act itself is not a big deal. I even have this problem in adult fiction, but those are just my personal views so I didn't let it affect my feelings towards it. My name is Angie and apparently I'm a prude.

This book is all about romance so if that's not your thing, then pass this one up. BUT if it's just something you're not looking for right now, go back to this. Remember my first sentence where I said I didn't like football? Well, I want to admit that this book got me interested and maybe, just maybe, it's not as boring as I once thought it was.

Content: language and sexual references

1 comment :

  1. I don't like football either but I've seen so many good reviews on this one. I'll probably pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for commenting! I always appreciate and read each one! I also try to reply to each one, but I'm really bad at this, so I apologize in advance for one (or any) I may miss. Please note, I love all of my commenters. In fact, it may be more like "in love." Comment at your own risk.